I shared this in the weekly Complete Fit newsletter, because today is World Menopause Day (18th October 2020). A day to really shine the light on all things menopause – to get the conversations started, flowing and continuing to highlight this life stage women go through.
So, do you know what your Menopause Superpower is?
“What are you talking about Caroline?, there is no superpower to the menopause, it is the menopause, something we all go through at a certain stage of life, which can be ok or tricky or tough going or a mix and more. No superpowers there…”
Well, I disagree. YOU are your menopause superpower. YOU.
“A woman going through the menopause is like a butterfly emerging from her chrysalis – She goes through many changes to get to the end, Physically, Mentally, and Emotionally.” (source unknown)
How amazing is that? Look at what we go through, we change, adapt, grow and emerge into our 3rd age.
You are your superpower because you can take charge and do the best you can for this journey.
The journey begins:
Peri Menopause – The average time from peri-menopause to post menopause is approx. 6 to 10 years. We are all so different it will affect us very individually and when it may happen could be from the age of 35+. Hormones begin to fluctuate, we notice changes in our bodies, mentally and emotionally.
Menopause may be earlier than expected, premature menopause, or brought on because of illness or surgery. This is the theme for this years Menopause awareness and conversation. Menopause doesn’t always arrive when we assume it will, if it occurs before the age of 40 it is classed as early menopause.
Menopause – The average age for this is 51 – 53, the time we cease menstruating. After 12 consecutive months of no period we are classed as being…
Post Menopause – After menopause our hormones have adjusted to new levels – some lower or maybe higher than before and our body will be adjusting to these, and always will do, as hormones don’t stay at the same for long and for many reasons.
So, on this World Menopause day, I wanted to highlight how fantastic you are ladies.
Whether you have entered Peri Menopause, going through Menopause or you are Post menopause – every day is menopause day!
But we need to realise that being a Superpower comes with some responsibility…
To ensure we are looking after ourselves at this time – before, during and long after, we need to make sure we tick several boxes to help with the process and the way forward to live our best 3rd age life.
The main boxes I believe are: Nutrition, Self-Care, Bone Health, Heart Health, Brain Health and Cognitive Function, Movement, Lifestyle, Stress, and Sleep. But how, what do we need to do?
- Listen to our body, noticing what is or has changed,
- What works or doesn’t work for you now (hello mid 20’s, hours of cardio, late nights and booze!)
- Finding what will work and benefit our health and wellbeing – whether it is HRT, supplements or a change in diet and exercise for example.
- Picking up on triggers that could bring on a hot flash, a bad night’s sleep,
- Noticing how stress affects you and what do you do when you are stressed.
- Does this phase of life effect you at work, if so, what can we do about this?
- Realising that now is the time to add a variety of movement into our daily lives,
- Look at what’s on your “plate” and what can you do if you don’t like what’s on there, and
- Very importantly finding time for some calm and self-compassion – because at any stage of the life it can be tough being a grown up can’t it!
So, take some time to process where you are right now. Hone into your superpower – YOU.
What can you add to help and make the process one that works for you.
If you would like more specific information, or for me to focus on a particular topic, then let me know – using movement, massage and self care I can help with your health and fitness goals at this stage of life and beyond x